by: Becky LaChance
This Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili makes for the perfect healthy meal on a cold winter day! It’s made in the crockpot and can be enjoyed for lunch and dinner throughout the week.
I’ve made chili almost every week this winter. I never get sick of it. I love having a healthy meal prepped in the fridge all week long that I can bring to work with me or have for lunch or dinner after running errands all day. It’s so easy to make too- everything just gets thrown into the crockpot for 4 hours and then it’s done!
My Turkey and Sweet Potato Crockpot Chili is full of flavor and has a ton of nutritional benefits:
- Sweet potatoes are full of Vitamin A and Vitamin C
- Ground turkey is a great option for lean protein. Ground chicken can also be substituted in this recipe if you prefer.
- Black beans are a great source of fiber and protein and finally- tomatoes! Tomatoes are also full of Vitamin A and C.
Now onto toppings. My favorite ones include avocado, plain greek yogurt (substituted for sour cream), and a few chips for some crunch! I also like my chili extra spicy so I drizzle some sriracha on top too! What are your favorite chili toppings?
RECIPE: serves 6-8
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 4 hours
(1) 15 oz can tomato sauce
(2) 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
(1) 15 oz can corn (drained)
(1) 15 oz can black beans (drained)
1 cup diced white onions
2 large sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1/2 in cubes
1 package lean ground turkey (brown the turkey on the stovetop before adding it to crockpot)
(1) 16 oz jar of chunky salsa
1 cup water
Crushed red pepper
Plain greek yogurt
1. Add all of the above ingredients to the crockpot (except the toppings)
2. Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, & sriracha all to taste
3. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
4. Serve with toppings of choice! Enjoy!